I don’t think I am alone in saying, I hate L.A. traffic. Did you know that residents of Los Angeles County spend an estimated 4 days each year stuck in traffic!!! This could drive anyone nuts. However, since there is no real effective alternative to getting around, driving, and dealing with traffic for the vast majority of trips outside the downtown core, traffic is an inescapable part of the Los Angeles lifestyle.
Fortunately, for the sake of your sanity, there are a few ways to keep your stress to a minimum when you’re making your way across town. Here’s how:
1. Avoid rush hour traffic. In Los Angeles, rush hour is generally Monday through Thursday, 7am-9:30am and 4:30pm-7pm, and Friday 7am-9:30am and 3pm-7pm. Try leaving an hour before or after these times, if at all possible.
2. Find alternate routes. Before getting into your car, map out a couple different ways to get your destination. Los Angeles has many streets that run from downtown all the way to the ocean. These may be excellent alternatives when you aren’t moving an inch on the freeway. Some roads to consider are Washington, Venice, Pico, Olympic, Wilshire, Santa Monica, and Sunset.
3. Leave thirty minutes earlier than you think you should. Los Angeles freeways are notorious for accidents that stop traffic for half an hour or more. Be prepared for this. And bring something to read in the L.A. sun in case you end up arriving half an hour early to your destination.
4. Prepare your mind for a long car ride. Simply telling yourself that you will be driving through traffic for an hour will help keep you from looking at the clock every five minutes.
5. Listen to music that calms you. Whatever your favorite CD or radio station is, turn it on and let it soothe your mind.
6. Carpool. Taking turns with other drivers to get to work is a fantastic way to decrease your stress in L.A. traffic. Find out if your company has a carpool finding service or a message board where people can post and find carpools.
7. Take the bus. To arrive at your destination on time, you will have to map out your bus route, transfers, and walks carefully. And remember because of traffic, L.A. buses are not always on time!
Learn more on how to deal with Traffic in Los Angeles via : Traffic Sucks
Also check out how to make Los Angeles Traffic Easier to Maneuver via: Commuting to Work?